11 March, 2010

Now I feel like I'm in Egypt

Finally saw the pyramids today! Well, saw them from the back seat of a taxi, stuck in evening traffic on the Corniche along the Nile and they were way off in the distance, but I SAW them. And at sunset, so very cinematic.

Also rode with my first crazed Cairo cabby tonight. Went up to Nasser City to visit with a professor of social work who runs a family services center. The driver on the ride back was absolutely mental. The first time I actually had to force myself to look away from what lay ahead. I ended up slung around like a dog's chew toy. Add to that the fact that the taxi rattled so bad you would have thought we were pulling Gs and about to shatter. Prior to this guy, I didn't get what all the fuss was about.

Yes, the conference is over. My head's a bit sore from trying to translate things on my own. Did better than I'd hoped. Connected with a few professors with similar interests and we're trying to meet up next week. Sadly, had to say goodbye to my flock of students, but I'll write more about that later. It's 1am and I'm wide awake, which is completely off for me. Of course, the rest of town is up, too. Spending quality time at mathaf al-maSry - the Egyptian Museum - in the morning and supposed to attend a play tomorrow night. Have about three days to cram in some sightseeing before my meetings start next week.
Peace/سلام

No comments: