15 February, 2006

Ana taleeba jaeeda

Well, I decided to hold off on getting my own place. I have it pretty good up on the eigth floor in Mezza and it's nice not having all those responsibilities. I did find one beautiful, funky place in Muhajreen that I loved. It was all French doors, lots of glass and sunlight, funky plumbing arrangements and tons of character. Maybe later. For now I'll just pocket my earnings and save up for travelling and such.

Turns out I did o.k. with my first class. 94% o.k. to be exact! Yes, I seem to have a nack. We begin the next class Sunday. I am still suprised at how much I am able to speak with people, even now. Supposedly my pronounciation is good for an ajnabia.

Teaching is going well, but this evening the hammer is coming down on my disruptive boys in class two. Shock and awe, shall we say. They aren't bad kids, really. They just need to understand that just like at their other school there are consequences.

Nothing firm has come down from FIRDOS. My interview was postponed due to "an emergency meeting" at the office. My CV has been passed to the head of communication and marketing. I think I may be able to get an internship, which would be good. As always, we shall see...
I am getting started on my own modest projects slowly, but surely.

It's STILL cold here most days. We actually had snow a little over a week ago. Enough to coat the mountain behind Mezza where the palace sits. Cars in the street had a dusting as well. Sadly, it didn't stick and only made a mess of things.

We're halfway through the break this week. Work has kept me in town. I'm going to a concert with friends Friday night at the French Cultural Center. Other than that I have just been rambling about town. The National Museum, next door to my un-official "office" at Takkia Suleymania, is lovely and quite a steal at 10SL with my student card. There are some lovely paintings in the modern art gallery on the third floor. I am interested in researching the artists and seeing who is still active in Dimashq.

Must run for now. Need a few minutes to prep for class. Hope everybody reading is well.
All the best. Salaam.

No comments: